Saturday, December 5, 2015

one year.

A year ago today, Roy was wandering the streets of Chicago carrying on normal text conversation as though he were teaching back in Houston.

I awoke as normal, put on an old college sweatshirt to match my school's spirit day, and packed my things to leave for home after school. I had 2 eggs and bacon, per usual, with my best friend and her husband (also my roommates and lifesavers), made my coffee and went about my day. I had no idea what was about to be.

My day was normal. I taught some sort of American History to 8th graders who didn't really care to listen. At the same time, Roy was riding a train to Chicago, wandering the streets of the city lined with Christmas lights (my absolute favorite) and waiting for my sweet friend Amy to pick him up from the train station. She so graciously brought him to Green Bay to pick up the ring and anxiously wait.




After school I headed for home and planned to meet my dad and Russell at the Botanical Garden of Lights. On my way home I tried to call and talk with Roy but he was "out to dinner with family and couldn't really talk". Instead I listened to the sounds of the seasons (aka magical Christmas music) and answered every call from my dad, mom, and best friend asking how the drive was going and where I was. Little did I know, this was the longest drive of their lives.


When I finally got into town, dad gave me strict orders to meet him at the Botanical Gardens. I was not to meet him anywhere but there. At the front doors. Park and ride the shuttle yourself. I thought it a bit harsh, but then again, dad always has a plan. As I rode the shuttle to the entrance gate, a Christmas wish ran through my mind... what if Roy surprised me and came to Green Bay for the weekend? Just as fast as that wish came into my mind though, I denied every possibility of it. Where would he fly into? How would he get all the way to Green Bay? Surely everyone couldn't keep that secret from me.


But as my dad and I walked in to Garden of Lights, I felt a gentle tap on my right shoulder and what to my wondering eyes should appear but... my dear.


In a flash my dad left us with 2 tickets and I was in a whirl-wind. We walked around the lights, Roy seeking the perfect spot to do what he'd waited so long for, and I still trying to figure out how everyone pulled this surprise off.


Roy suggested we jump the fence to get a picture under the arbor and I followed in my giddy state. Just as I took a picture of us, Roy dropped to his knee. I wish I could tell you all that he said and what happened next, but all I remember is saying yes!


We kissed and hugged and people around us cheered.



We walked around to see a few more lights, but Roy had more plans in mind for us. We headed to the restaurant where my friends and family sat anxiously awaiting our arrival.






One year. It's crazy what can happen in a year. And it's even crazier how much more you can love someone in a year.

Thank you Roy for your constant surprises, laughter in all of my days, and love that knows no bounds. I am honored to be your wife and will never forget this magical day under the twinkle lights.


No comments:

Post a Comment