Wednesday, December 9, 2015

holiday home tour.

Christmas is my absolute favorite time of year. I love the lights and the trees and the holiday treats and the good cheer. I love giving gifts and spending time with the ones we hold dear. 

And with that,  I would like to invite you into our home. Oh how I wish we could host you all for a warm dinner or a cup of coffee, but for some, time and distance will keep us from that this year. So instead, I invite you in via pictures and words. It is my prayer that you would feel the love and cheer we share in our home as you take our holiday home tour. 

First, I invite you into the kitchen where the majority of the holiday madness takes place. I bought this adorable snowman spatula you see below at Williams-Sonoma. It reminds me of my granny who always made it a point to bake with me during the holidays and has a beautiful snowman collection. 


 One of our naughty elves also resides in the kitchen atop our cabinets. I like to think he's supervising the holiday baking. These elves are just two of my great-grandmother's collection. It is so sweet to have a little piece of Christmas tradition that has now been passed down 4 generations in our home.




My favorite part of our entire apartment is our dining room where we have our tree and we host friends and family. The space is a little tight, but then again what space isn't tight in a one bedroom apartment. 


When you don't have a fireplace, you must get creative with the stockings. 


Our centerpiece is something new I put together this year with a little help of Pinterest inspiration. I got this beautiful red ceramic bowl on clearance at HomeGoods and filled it with pinecones from the Wisconsin north woods my mom picked up for me (she's the best!). I added 3 pillar candles in the center, a few greens and bam... a gorgeous centerpiece that reminds me of home and the quiet woods. 


We have these letters up all year, but I really love how they look with our natural, rustic Christmas tree. I don't think I could've planned it any better. 


Most of the ornaments on our tree were handed down to us from my momma. She and I picked them out a few years back from "the idea store" in Green Bay. It is seriously the best place to get Christmas decorating ideas. 




Okay, let me tell you about these colored lights you see. Roy's parents so graciously gave us this tree to have this year (thank you!).  It is a gorgeous tree, however it is prelit. With colored lights. Not my thing. So we did what all teachers do... we problem solved. We just took one bulb out of each set of colored lights and there you have it... no colored lights. Well, at least none that come on. When you look at our tree from a distance, you would never know there are colored lights on it. It's only when I take super up close pictures that it looks a little funny. But like I said, the tree is so full and beautiful that I just couldn't turn it down simply for it's colored lights. 


Although I like to carry on the themed tree, there is always room for the Packers ornament. 


Elf #2 (they really need some names... suggestions appreciated!) hangs from the top of our tree. I imagine he's climbed all the way to the top and now doesn't know what to do with himself at this point. 


I originally bought this lantern for our wedding, but I've changed the candle with each new season and it's like a brand new lantern every time. I love the versatility of it. Our Christmas countdown was also a Pinterest inspired homemade creation. I just used some scrap wood, letter stamps and a clothespin.

 

And of course our family room has a few little touches of Christmas. 


This tree was given to us by my dad and the snowman was my mom's. One of the reasons I love Christmas so much is that it is a time to spend with family, and even if this Christmas means I will be spending it away from them physically, they are definitely in our home spreading holiday joy and love.

Thank you so so much for spending some time with me in our home for the holidays. It is a joy and honor to share with you.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. No words can say what I am feeling. Just tears of happiness and joy that you both can cherish your family and what family is all about!!! Love you both and am so happy I was able to see your home with all of the Wisconsin memories.

    Love you Both
    Mom

    ReplyDelete