Friday, September 13, 2013

by faith we trust.

About a week before I left for CCR I received an email saying that I needed to travel to Frontier Ranch to become a certified operator of the challenge course. In simple terms that meant I was going to another Young Life camp to learn how to run the ropes course, giant swing and climbing wall. I helped with these things at Timberwolf so I kinda knew what I was getting in to and, to be honest, I wasn't all that excited. Being a certified operator (CO) means lives are in your hands. That's terrifying not exciting. But it is part of my job as the guest services intern and I wasn't going to say no.

So I went to Frontier Ranch and trained for 3 days on being a CO. A portion of our training talks about the why's behind what we do. Why do we send kids on a high ropes course? Why do we buckle them into the giant swing and let them scream the whole way down? Because it brings them out of their comfort zone to a place where they are stretched. It is in this place they begin to relate their experience to real life. If I trust this CO girl with my life on the ropes course, can I trust God with my life? 

Trust. That's where it hit me. As I stood at the end of the trapeze platform looking down to a fellow classmate who promised he would belay me correctly, I questioned my trust. Every part of me wanted to do it myself. If I could just be the one to jump and catch myself at the same time, I would be good. But I couldn't. I had to trust this guy was going to do what he was saying and take a leap of faith. Literally. I jumped an awkward jump, turning my face away from where I was headed, reaching out for something but getting only air, letting out a slight shriek in fear. It was almost like I forgot what it was like to be a kid again and just jump. Sorta like I forget what its like to have child-like faith and trust the Lord. 

trapeze jump.
(photo credit: frontierranch.younglife.org)



Later that night I was reading about a man named Abraham and his wife Sarah. They were nearly 100 years old when God told Abraham he would have a son. Seemed a little impossible, until I read this... 
By faith Abraham, even though he was past age -- and Sarah herself was barren-- was enabled to become a father because he considered him faithful who made the promise.  {Hebrews 11:11}
Abraham and Sarah had a child by faith because they knew God to be faithful. I'm convicted by this because I know God to be faithful, but I don't always put my trust in him. I try to do things myself and prove to God that I am able. But he doesn't want that. He wants us to draw to our knees, proclaim our inabilities and trust he is able. Trust he can provide the strength I need. Trust he will make this place home to me. Trust that he can move mountains. Trust that he is faithful to the promises he made.

So today I find myself thanking Him for taking me outside my comfort zone in CO training, thanking Him for being faithful in re-teaching me lessons I've already learned. I find myself drawing to my knees and asking for that child-like faith to return, so that one day someone might say "by faith, Karlie was enabled".


No comments:

Post a Comment